Hyperthyroidism accelerates your body’s metabolism . It is difficult to diagnose as the signs and symptoms are similar to other conditions.
Download a tickbox version of this list.
Compare hypothyroid and hyperthyroid signs and symptoms.
- Increased sweating
- Sensation of warmth
- Oversensitivity to heat
- Warm, moist palms
- Increased appetite
- Weight Loss
- Dry; thin skin that flushes easily
- Hair loss
- Goitre (enlargement of the thyroid gland)
- Shortness of breath
- Increased sex drive
- Enlargement of breasts in men
- Pretibial myxedema (red swollen skin on shins and feet)
- Cessation of periods (amenorrhoea)
- Longer or shorter cycle
- Weak, less defined muscles (wasting)
- Loss of muscle strength
- Aches and pains
- Staring eyes
- Corneal ulceration
- Dry/gritty eyes
- Painful eyes
- Double vision
- Mood changes
- Racing thoughts
For more information about hyperthyroidism click here
Date updated: 17/06/21 (V1.3)
Review date: 13/06/22
We rely on donations so that we can continue to support and campaign for people with thyroid and related conditions. If you have found our information helpful, please make a donation or become a member.