The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is funded by the Department of Health to improve the health and wealth of the nation through research. The NIHR drives research from bench to bedside for the benefit of patients and the economy by:
- transforming research in the NHS
- increasing the volume of applied health research for the benefit of patients and the public
- driving the faster translation of basic science discoveries into tangible benefits
- developing and supporting the people who conduct and contribute to applied health research
- attracting investment by the life sciences industry through our world-class facilities for health research
The mission of the NIHR is to maintain a health research system in which the NHS supports outstanding individuals working in world-class facilities, conducting leading-edge research focused on the needs of patients and the public.